Have You Updated Your Ready Kit?
When is the last time you checked to make sure your Ready kit was fully stocked? Or checked the dates on the food that is stored in your kit? Once you have created a Ready kit, periodically checking to make sure you're not missing anything is equally as important. Old documents and spoiled food cannot help you in the event of a disaster. If you recently adopted a pet, you'll need to add the recommended pet emergency supplies. Take advantage of the upcoming Memorial Day holiday, a three-day weekend can provide the extra time needed to update your Ready kit or, if you haven't already, make one!
Recommended Ready kit items:
- Water. One gallon per person per day, for at least 3 days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food. At least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- Can opener. For food, if kit contains canned food
- Radio. Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle. To signal for help
- Face mask. To help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties. For personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers. To turn off utilities
- Local maps